When installing System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2, there are a number of prerequisite steps which need to be taken before installing the software.
They seem simple but can take up a few day’s to finish. I just put them below so we can quickly start the SCCM installation.
1. Change the E1000 NIC to VMXNET3 NIC this to avoid a lot of headache during the rest of the setup. See http://www.toolzz.com/?p=1085
1. Change the default network to the Legacy Network Adapter. This to support WOL and PXE integration
Extend Active Directory Schema
1. Extend Active Directory Schema for SCCM 2012 Domain Controllers. Navigate to \SMSSetup\Bin\x64\ and execute Extadsch.exe
2. Create the System Container and assign Permissions
Site Server Prerequisites
1. We are going to install a stand alone Primary Site Server. Therefore these roles are neccesary; this powershell script install’s it automaticly
This needs to turn on a elevated PowerShell (RunAs Administrator)
There is a bug in the .NET framework 3.5
You need your Windows Installation media to do this.
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
SQL Server considerations
1. Install the Database Engine feature for each site server, Management Tools and Reporting Services
2. Use the SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation server
3. Apply SP1 and CU4 or later
4. Change MSSQLServer.exe account in services to an domain user account (best practice) account
5. Open the SQL ports for incomming traffic (1433 and 4022) and reporting (80 and 443)
6. Limit SQLServer memory to 70 – 80% of the addressable memory if the SQL is in a dedicated Server. if the SQL is co-located with the Site Server computer limit the memory to 50 – 70%.
Prerequisites for SCCM
1. Prevent SCCM from installing Files on the OS Drive (C:\) by placing no_sms_on_drive.sms in the root of the C:\ folder
2. Install WSUS on the Windows 2012 R2 server with powershell. This because there are some issues in WSUS in combination with Windows 2012
Install-WindowsFeature -Name UpdateServices-Services,UpdateServices-DB -IncludeManagementTools
.\wsusutil.exe postinstall SQL_INSTANCE_NAME=”servername” CONTENT_DIR=”D:\Sources\WSUS\WSUS”
%programfiles%\update services\tools\wsusutil.exe postinstall CONTENT_DIR=D:\Sources\Wsus\WSUS SQL_INSTANCE_NAME=sqlservername
3. Do not configure WSUS
4. Install Windows ADK 8.1 download the new ADK to support Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 from here
4. Install the ADK: User State Migration Tool (USMT), Windows Deployment Tools, Windows PreInstallation Environment (Windows PE)
That’s it, you can now start installing SCCM 2012 R2 !