After upgrading my test (Beta SP1) environment to SP1 went smoothly we rolled out SCCM 2012 SP1 to one of our customers (because of a running issue which should be solved in SP1).
It caused me some sweat but got it running eventually.
– Windows 2008 R2
– SQL 2008 R2
– SCCM 2012 CU2
Note: To install ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 with Windows Server 2012 and SQL 2012 SP1 see http://www.toolzz.com/?p=602
Here are the steps I took:
1. Install the WADK (Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit)
First of all there are some extra requirements to take for the upgrade. In SCCM 2012 SP1 you no longer use WAIK, we’re now on WADK.
– Go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252874and download the ADK Setup.
– Run the ADKSetup.exe as an administrator
– I left the path’s default and choose Next
– Choose if you want to join CEIP and choose Next
– Accept the Licence Agreement and choose Accept
– Check Deployment Tools, Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) and User State Migration Tools (USMT)
– Choose Next and install the Software
2. Installing the SCCM 2012 SP1 software.
– I Downloaded the SP1 software from the Microsoft TechNet Site. It’s a little bit confusing but
“System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection with sp1 x86 x64″
and “System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection x86 x64” with the date of 12 December are both valid.
– Start the Splash.hta on the disk
– Choose the Install option
– Choose “Upgrade this Configuration Manager site” and choose Next
-Just note that there are more languages available then prior to SP1. Choose Next to continue
– Check the prerequisite check. Because we implemented step 1 already we can continue by clicking Begin Install.
In my case the installation took about one hour. The SQL database which was running on a different server was automatically updated.
3. The console issue
After starting up the console I bumped into an issue which was not very clear:
After upgrading to SP1 my console disappeared from my management server.
After some troubleshooting I tried starting up the console from the directory; but it could not connect to the server.
This was strange, but after some investigating I discovered that the Console is not automatically updated with SP1 which causes this issue.
– Restarting the SP1 Splash.HTA and running Install Configuration Manager console solved the issue for me!
Checked the installation and we are indeed running on SP1 !!
Henk Hoogendoorn posted a blog on what features are updated in the SP1 HERE.